You are not alone.
As a lawyer, I often meet people when things have gone terribly, terribly wrong:
- The best friend/business partner has become a business nightmare and you want her out,
- Your customer is angry and threatening to sue you and ruin your business' reputation,
- After months and money dedicated to building a brand, you realize that someone else has the name you and your customers have fallen in love with.
These are real challenges business owners face everyday, but it doesn't have to be this way. These problems are preventable.
My father always told me that "prevention is better than cure" but after working with clients in different industries, I have found that we often struggle with taking preventive action. It's the same thing that happens when we think about taking steps to protect our health and finances.
But we really cannot afford to wait. The costs to our businesses, our minds, and futures are too costly. Studies have shown that small businesses have paid over $100 billion dollars in paying legal related fees.
The majority of those fees probably originated in problems that people thought they could handle themselves.
Why should you take that risk?
The truth is how you start matters. When you choose to handle setting up your business yourself you run the risk of:
- Choosing business structures and systems that will hurt your business down the line,
- Paying more taxes then you really need to,
- Making mistakes in your formation documents that leave you totally unprotected and exposed to lawsuits, and
- much more.
The TOS Business Packages
Our Business Setup Packages are tailored to help you avoid these preventable start up problems and establish business that will last. With our business packages, you will be able to:
- Stop wasting time sifting through complicated legal documents,
- Create a brand that you can legally protect,
- Setup a business structure that will protect your business years down the line,
- Find legal solutions to achieve your business and personal goals, and
- Focus on building your business and dreams.
Can't I do it myself or use a quick online service?
I think anyone can do anything they put their mind to, but SHOULD you?
Here are some of the things you should consider before your endeavor to do start your business without help.
- The online services cannot provide specific legal help. If you read their fine print, they go out of their way to let you know that. Ultimately, there's no way to assess whether you are actually selecting the things you need for your business.
- The first price you see on google with these online services is often not your last price.
- Creating an LLC is not necessarily the right entity for every single business. It's true, many people will end up with an LLC, but do you really want to risk choosing the wrong entity.
- There are more legalities involved in creating your business beyond entity selection. You don't know what you don't know so you could easily overlook other factors that are important to your business. This is one of the most common things I see when I speak with my clients.
- You will use valuable time researching what an experienced attorney already knows.
What makes this firm different?
Every service in our law firm begins with an assessment consultation where you and the attorney handling your case are able to really building a working relationship and understand the true goals of your business.
Specifically, when we sit down with our clients starting new businesses we:
- Actually assess what type of entity your business needs. We do not assume that an LLC is the only solution.
- Consider the tax and management implications for your entity selection.
- Check to make sure the branding elements--name, logo, and designs--are strong enough for you to invest in.
- Help you get the additional tools and documentation you need to do things like hire employees and open a bank account, and
The choice is ultimately one that you must make. If you want bare bone protection and are okay with a heightened risk of legal exposure, by all means, engage in a DIY legal project.
What about money? I can't afford crazy legal fees.
This is definitely an important topic so let's break it down. It really becomes a matter of spend a bit now, or spend a lot later. In my experience, I have found that individuals reluctant to engage professional legal help ultimately have a change of heart after they are burned one too many times.
Additionally, we choose to provide most of our services on a flat-fee basis. That means that you can budget appropriately.
Take the first step today. Let's talk.